Friday, December 11, 2009

One word: Bewitching


Madeleine Berenson writes: "This is a picture of my mother, Jeanne, in her parents' yard in Ohio during a visit there in the early fifties, just before she met and married my dad. At the time, she was working in New York City, as a researcher for Time Magazine--one of her early assignments was to cover John F. Kennedy's first senatorial campaign; when we were kids she often talked about how exciting it was to meet him and shake his hand after one of his speeches.

"I am fascinated by this picture of her, because in it she is someone I don't know. She and my father had eight children, and he worked for IBM, which meant we moved every two or four years when I was growing up. As far back as I can remember, she never bought anything for herself--she even dressed in my father's old clothes and cut her own hair. But in this picture, she looks as glamorous as Leslie Caron, brimming with just as much joyous, girlish confidence. She looks like she knows exactly how beautiful she is."

2 comments:

Treacle said...

I love this blog! One of my favorite things to do is look at pictures of my Mom back in the day.

Have you seen the lingerie giveaway I'm having on my blog? I'd love for you to enter! :-)

http://stockingsaddict.blogspot.com

Peter said...

Wow...funny to stumble on Mom this way. Maddy got it right: this is a world we obviously couldn't have known, but somehow I understand her better when I see her as a daffodil-enthralled gamine!